Thursday, May 7, 2009

Since spring break I have been super busy. Obviously too busy to write and update you, which makes me sad. For a quick summary up to this date I shall fill you in. I visited Timberline High School and presented to the health classes about diabetes. What a fun group of kids!
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
I also spoke at the Hawks Prairie Rotary that week about my platform and upcoming community service events that I was participating in.
A couple weekends ago I had quite the weekend. I had spent the previous few weeks preparing and planning a fundraiser that would support the Children’s Miracle Network which is the national platform of the Miss America Organization. My good friend Michelle at the Blue Bottle Espresso in Yelm was so gracious to let me have an event at the coffee shop. I decided to put on a Karaoke Night to pair my passion for singing with my passion for community service. With the amazing support of the Yelm and North Thurston community I was able to secure donation items to raffle and use for my event. Music 6000 in Olympia let me borrow a professional karaoke system free of charge. Yelm Radio Shack let me borrow cords and cables to hook up the machine during my emergency crisis before the event. Puerto Vallarta, Casa Mia, Hair Inc., Grocery Outlet, Prairie Lanes, Keebler and my dad all gave me items to raffle off at the karaoke night to raise extra funds. While my guests were encouraged to sing, and did, I still was able to sing a lot of songs and do what I love, entertain. It was a night of fun and music with my community and some close friends who made the event even more successful and fulfilling. The HUGEST thank you goes out to anyone that was involved with the Miss Thurston County Karaoke Night! It means so much to me.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The next day was a huge day for my platform. It was the Diabetes Expo in Seattle at Quest Field. It was a Diabetes fair with vendors, activities, health screening, food, information, advocacy, events and family fun for people with diabetes and their families, all for free. I was invited to give a speech during opening ceremonies about my involvement with diabetes as Miss Thurston County and I got to cut the ribbon. It was so powerful for me to be there just talking with people who have diabetes and letting them know that I care so much about this disease even though I am not suffering from it. This event was through the American Diabetes Association which is an organization that I have been working closely with in regards to my platform. Please visit www.diabetes.org for information and help about this disease. I know that everyone is affected diabetes even when they don’t know anything of it. Make yourself aware so we can have hope for a cure for ourselves and our loved ones and have healthy lives throughout.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
To wrap up that weekend I had a fundraiser at Safeway in Lacey off of Yelm hwy and College Street. They are always so generous about letting me sit outside of their store and ask for donations. In that one day I raised $90 towards the Children’s Miracle Network and Diabetes Awareness. Each dollar counts and I am steps closer to my goal of $500. Thank you, Thurston County.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
That day I also had a photo shoot for Find the Cure Clothing. Find the Cure is a diabetes awareness clothing line that raises awareness with style and passion. I am so blessed to be a spokesperson and a model for this awesome t-shirt line. I truly believe in the mission of this clothing line and the young man’s story that started the whole thing. Kelly Kiernan your amazing! Thank you for letting me be involved and keep doing what you’re doing. You should check it out. $2 from every shirt goes towards diabetes research through the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
The next weekend I was given the wonderful opportunity to sing the National Anthem at the opening ceremony of the Nisqually Valley Home and Garden Show in Yelm. I am always thrilled to be a part of any big event in Yelm, my hometown, where everyone is welcoming and supportive of me and I see the improvements and hard work in this community every day. I am proud.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

No comments: